Simple ingredients, heavenly taste and loads of nutrients! Don’t we all look for this?
This nutritious quiche is characterised by its green vibrant color from the spinach. Tofu is used to enrich the pie, double the health benefits and great taste.
One cup of spinach has nearly 20% of the RDA of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion, maintains low blood sugar and curbs overeating. Spinach is rich in vitamin E, calcium, iron, protein, potassium, choline, which improves mental functioning, and folic acid, which is a heart protector. Moreover, it’s high in cancer-fighting lutein, chlorophyll and vitamins C and A. Tofu is a wonderful source of protein and it absorbs the tastes resulting in a great nutritious breakfast to start off your day! The best news is that quiches are freezer-friendly so you can make ahead.
For the Tart:
230 g cup flour
1 teaspoon palm sugar
170 g cold salted butter (make sure it’s pure!)
¼ cup iced water
For the Filling:
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 cup spinach
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch cayenne pepper
500 g tofu, cubed
1. Pulse flour and sugar in food processor. Add half amount of butter and pulse. Add rest of butter and pulse. Slowly add the water as needed. The dough will form a ball.
2. Flatten the dough into a disk. Place a wrap around it and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Prick the pie with a fork and bake it for 12 minutes in a pre-heated oven 200°C.
4. Sauté the onions. Add the spinach and give a quick stir.
5. Combine rest of ingredients in a bowl except the tofu. Add the spinach mix and stir.
6. Fill the pie shell with the prepared mix and top with the tofu. Bake at 230°C for 15 minutes then lower to 180°C for 30 minutes.
7. Enjoy the wonderful taste and dense nutrients! If you want to freeze, let it cool freeze and thaw overnight in fridge when needed. Before serving, add your touch of fresh thyme or greens.
Enjoy your nutritious meal and always opt for healthier options 🙂