These days a life without a smartphone seems impossible. It has created a world of constant involvement for each of us .We all admit to the fact that we use our smartphones throughout the day from early in the morning till bedtime to ingest information.
This revolutionary device has substituted many traditional alternatives such as night watches, alarm clocks, calendars, flashlights, nightstand books, etc. Hence, most of us leave our smartphones to charge at night, right beside us on bed, for ease of accessibility. A time even when we donot accept to stay away from it. But this is not advisable for many reasons.
Reasons not to sleep with your smartphones on the bed
Substantially less sleep
Studies show that our constant need and ability to stay connected creates stresses of its own. These studies provide evidence to show that the radiation smartphones emit affects the quality of our sleep.
Let’s read through the various reasons why smartphones could adversely affect our quality of sleep.
- Smartphones emit a certain type of “Blue Light”, which is known to significantly affect the production and effectiveness of the sleep inducing human hormone called Melatonin.
- This may be because blue light emits wavelengths similar to daylight, which can make our bodies think its daytime, at any time.
- Much like standard light bulbs or fluorescent strips, mobile LED lights too aggravates the production of sleep producing Melatonin and stimulates the pigments called melanopsin within the cells in the retina, passing on signals to the brain.
- Even a pulse of light lasting for as less as 0.12 seconds could delay the body clock and trigger the body into an alert mode thereby affecting the relaxation needed for Sleep.
- Better yet, keep your smartphone in another room while you slumber. Radiations interfere with our body’s ability to repair itself from any damage suffered throughout the day.